Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Yet another reason why I wasn't nominated for "Mother of Year" this Christmas



Because I'm Last-Minute-Shopping Mommy.

I ended up at Toys R Us on December 23rd fighting the other panicked parents for the last Barbie Dream House.

But it wasn't really my fault!

Okay, here's the whole sad story...

(image from http://ny.racked.com)


I had bought the older kids some books, video games, and DVD's from the school book fair and the electronic store by November 30th.

Check.

I had finished all my shopping for people out-of-town by the first of December and mailed it all by the second.

Check.

I had proposed a let's-don't-buy-gifts-for-each-other-this-year plan to my husband, which he leapt upon with relief.

Check.

I had ordered several toys and books online for the younger children by December tenth, qualifying for free delivery in plenty of time for Christmas.

Check.

I headed to a couple of specialty stores and a clothing store for the rest of the stuff for the kids, and finished all that by December 19th.

Check.

I confirmed with my husband that we really did make a no-gifts-for-each-other pact and that it was not a trick.

Check.

Then we hit a little snag in the checklist.

December 22nd, 11:30 p.m., just before falling asleep: I realized I hadn't received that package I'd ordered two weeks ago with most of the younger kids' stuff in it. I tried not to panic.

December 23rd, 8:00 a.m.: I looked at my inbox and couldn't find the confirmation-of-order email. I tried not to panic. I checked my online credit card statement and did not find a charge for that store. I tried not to panic.

I went on the website and began to try to track my package. When I logged in it said I had no open orders. I started to panic.

Then I looked up at the top of the screen where it said cheerily, "You have 15 items in your shopping basket!"

ACK! Time to panic! I realized I had apparently never placed the order! THERE WAS NO PACKAGE ON ITS WAY AT ALL!!!!!!

Now, I don't know what kind of moron I have to BE to do this. I distinctly remember placing this order. Really. I do.

But there was the evidence staring me in the face: that cute little virtual shopping cart was winking away at me, chanting, "Fifteen ITEMS never ORDERED! Fifteen ITEMS never ORDERED!"

Christmas was two days away and I had almost no presents for THREE of my kids!


So what else could I do? I went to Toys R Us with all the other waited-until-the-last-minute moms and dads.

And of course, spent more than I should have in order to compensate.

Sigh. Maybe next year I'll have it together.

At least the pact held up: My husband got me nothing and I got him nothing. That's one expense avoided.

Check.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a rude awakening! I'm glad you could get them presents at the last moment though. Poor you! My daughter ordered some stuff too late and had to run out and buy other gifts. She says the kids will be getting packages for the next few weeks!

    Other than not hitting "order" you did very well this Christmas! Lots to do. My hubby and I didn't give each other gifts either. Actually, we have pretty well all we need anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belle! I thought it was easier for us not to get gifts for each other...and you should have seen my husband's look of relief at this proposal! :)

    ReplyDelete