Friday, April 6, 2012

My Daughter's Orthopedist Thinks He's Dr. McDreamy

In the first place, I blame Grey's Anatomy, House, and ER for corrupting the public's view of the entire medical profession.

But the truth is, my daughter's othopedist looks like he just stepped off the set of one of those shows. Plus he appears to be continually playing to some camera crew I can't see.

I mean, what doctor in a MILITARY HOSPITAL has five-o'clock shadow? At NINE A.M.?

I'm like, Dude. You are NOT Patrick Dempsey. Get OVER yourself!

(image from http://www.patrickdempsey.co)

I may just be irritated by the fact that we've had three appointments with this man, and he's actually looked at my daughter's broken finger for approximately five seconds. TOTAL.

Mostly he stands about looking relaxed in his scrubs and proclaims his lines in a studiedly casual manner.

Then he strides off and one of his minons comes over to do the actual work of caring for my  daughter's finger.

She's out of the cast now, by the way, and into a "soft bandage" that I'm required to change when she gets it wet or dirty. Which seems to happen at least twice a day.



The last time we saw Dr. McWannabe-Dreamy he had an intern with him, so he talked to that guy as well as the invisible camera. He told all about what a good job he'd done with Baby Girl's finger, and how soon he would show said intern how to repair such an injury and do a fingernail transplant.

A fingernail transplant? EXCUSE ME?! You didn't do a fingernail transplant! You people made me wait three hours in the ER and then said the end of her finger was beyond saving so you CUT IT OFF!!

I didn't say this out loud. I just sat there while he made his exit and the minions swept in to do something for real.

Because Baby Girl's finger really is getting better. It's a little shorter than it should be, but under the bandage it almost looks normal now.

So I guess I shouldn't quibble about a little five-o'clock shadow and an invisible camera crew.

1 comment:

  1. Poor little Sweetie. I'm so sorry for her and you. I've been luckier with doctors at the emergency. They have all been so caring here. It's the nurses who were kind of witchy.

    ReplyDelete