Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Costco Invasion



I took the twins to Costco.

This was probably a mistake. It was crowded, as is usual for this area, but the sample ladies were few and far between. (Insert sad face here.)

(image from members.brentwoodcoolsprings.org)

Even though I had the twins confined to the cart they were managing to wreak havoc by raking their arms along the shelves, beating each other on the head with shoes, and yelling "I DON'T LIKE THAT!!!" when we managed to find an actual sample food to taste.

Highlight of the visit: I was contemplating a dipslay of pomegranates, wondering if we could really eat a CASE of them before they went bad --which is the sort of burning question Costco engenders in you every few feet as you shop.

An employee said to me, "Ma'am, watch out for that spill there. You might slip."


This was his polite way of saying, "Ma'am, your son is pouring purple yogurt from his sample cup all over the floor and there is a trail behind you up to this spot. Please stop gazing at the pomegranates like they're the Mona Lisa and make him stop."

I said, "Oh, I'm sorry! That's our spill."

He did not say, "Obviously." Instead he said, "I'll get you a paper towel."

So he helped us out AND cleaned up the spill. Also he actually talked nicely to the twins ("Hey buddy; is that good yogurt?") and continued to smile at me until I left.

This guy probably deserved a Polite Employee of the Year Award.

Or perhaps sainthood.

1 comment: