Monday, August 23, 2010

What's Your Favorite Bible Verse? IDK...

Holy Bible, Giant Print Presentation Edition: King James VersionRecently I was in a group of ladies from the chapel here on post. We were supposed to be talking about our favorite Bible verses.


Of course, I hadn’t done my homework on this, and was hoping I wouldn‘t be called on to answer.

Not that I don’t have a favorite Bible verse; it’s just that…Well, okay, I guess I don’t have a favorite Bible verse. I tend to give a different answer every time I’m asked this question. But anyways, I digress.

One of the newer ladies said her favorite verse was Colossians 3:6.

As she began quoting it, I got out my Bible to follow along. She was talking about how the verse had really spoken to her, and reminded her of all the fellowship and good friends she’d had at church she’d attended at her last duty station.

That sounds like a nice verse, I thought as I reached Colossians chapter 3.

I looked down at verse 6 and read, “Because of these things, the wrath of God is coming.”

What?! I read it again.

Okay, verse 6... “Because of these things, the wrath of God is coming.” Yep. That’s what it said.

I looked back up at the lady who was speaking, thinking, What kind of fellowship was THAT?

Then I thought, Maybe she's just being equal-opportunity. I mean, those wrath-of-God verses never get any airplay these days.

No, obviously I knew either I had misheard or she’d misspoken the number.

As she quoted the whole verse again, I began scanning the chapter.

“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.”

Aha! It was verse 16! I had just heard wrong.

The Bible for DummiesAnd it WAS a nice verse.

And I thought, Now to find something else good real quick before it’s my turn. Perhaps the book on the right would not come amiss...

No comments:

Post a Comment