Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Reality Can Be Rough

Klipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating HeadphonesTrying to write while the kids are home, I have to block out the sound of their incessant television /video game/ bickering noises, so I put on soft music with headphones.

Sometimes you just want to get away from the clamor of real life.

I was listening to what I consider one of the most romantic songs ever, John Denver’s “Annie’s Song.”

John Denver's Greatest HitsYes, I realize I’ve just branded myself as completely UNcool by admitting this. Guess what? I like Barry Manilow too! I tear up when I hear “Mandy” sometimes! And I’m not ashamed of it! (much) So there! Besides, I dare you to listen to “Annie‘s Song” and not LONG to be the one this song was written for. Even if just for a moment. I DARE you.

And, YES, I know John and Annie had a troubled and tumultuous relationship, and ended up divorced. I’ve seen “The John Denver Story,” and a chilling scene involving a chain saw and an antique bed is burned into my brain.

(It was chilling because of the destruction of a beautiful piece of furniture, by the way. He cut the bed, not his wife. It wasn’t “Friday the 13th” for goodness’ sake!)

I just think it’s a beautiful song, with the way his voice soars up and around: “You fill up my senses like a night in a forest, like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain.” Just gorgeous. Simple but sincerely romantic. I was getting a little choked up.

Anyhow, Mr. Denver was just working up to dying in Annie’s arms, when I was rudely interrupted.

“Mommy, can you make me some ramen noodles?”

Sigh. Back to reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment