Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What about Paula Deen?

Paula Deen Housekeeper in Jail for Theft

I don't watch cooking shows. This is because they are all about... you guessed it! ...cooking, accompanied by no eating, which is of course cooking's only redeeming quality.  To me, cooking shows are a lose-lose situation.

Still, I can't help hearing about Paula Deen. It seems everyone has an opinion about what's been going on with her.

(image from http://www.people.com)

The internet rumors seem divided. Is Paula being persecuted wrongly for an idle comment made twenty years ago? Or is she taking a deserved hit for continued ill-treatment of minority employees? I don't know whom to believe. 

There is one opinion, however, that I think has not been properly considered. I heard two Southern Black ladies talking the other day:

Lady 1: That sure is too bad about Paula Deen.
Lady 2: Mmm-hmmm; sure is.
Lady 1: I saw it coming though.
Lady 2: You did?
Lady 1: Sure did. I knew, once she stopped cooking with all that butter, Paula Deen was going down.
Lady 2: That's true enough. Trying to lighten up her recipes! My lands!
Lady 1: Who's gonna eat that?
Lady 2: Sure enough.
Lady 1: Nobody wants to eat that.
Lady 2: Mmm-hmmm. That's what I'm saying.
Lady 1: So I knew she wouldn't last much longer.
Lady 2: Just goes to show.
Lady 1: Sure does.
(Pause)
Lady 2: Still...You got to watch what you say though.
Lady 1: Ain't that the truth.

So... Maybe Paula's problem isn't about what she said or didn't say.

Maybe it's simply the fact that she betrayed her commitment to butter.

Something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment