Sunday, March 31, 2013

Not really a recipe

I don't really like cooking. Have I mentioned this before?

But the other night I made something yummy that everyone liked. Except the twins, who being preschoolers don't count.



I'd love to give you the recipe. Unfortunately, I'm not a very good recipe person.

I mean, I follow recipes... unless I'm out of something, or I don't like it. Then I just substitute something else.

And as far as measuring... Let's just admit I'm exactly Miss Accuracy.

I just read this baking blog with some awesome-looking desserts, and it included a link to a long admonishment about how to measure properly. Reading this shows me exactly why I'm not a particularly good cook, and why I have no future as a food blogger.

For example, from mybakingaddiction.com

How To Measure Flour

1. Use a spoon to fluff up the flour within the container.
2. Use a spoon to scoop the flour into the measuring cup.
3. Use a knife or other straight edged utensil to level the flour across the measuring cup.
4. THEN pour the flour into the mixing bowl.

Um...sorry. You lost me at step one. Call me ADD, but my attention wandered before we even poured the flour in the bowl.

But I digress. I was talking about the one-dish dinner I made.

Here's the recipe, such as it is:

Throw a five pound bag of potatoes in the oven to bake at 425. (I usually take them out of the bag first.) I used small potatoes, so they only took about an hour. Let them cool a little bit, and then cut them open and scoop out the white part. Trash the peels, even though your mom said that's where all the vitamins are.

Smash the potato up with a fork, then throw in approximately a stick of butter and smash that up. Squirt on some Ranch dressing and some cooked broccoli and mix that in. Then toss some diced ham on top, along with some shredded cheese.

Bake it for 15-20 minutes (at whatever temperature the oven happens to be on) until the cheese is melted.

Now you see why I'm not a food blogger?

No comments:

Post a Comment