Sunday, March 3, 2013

Why my husband and I can't agree on a movie

Three words: The Chick Flick Curse.

(Okay, four words. Unless "the" doesn't count. Which is debatable.)

What happened was, a couple of times when I picked "chick flicks" for us to watch together (because it was MY TURN!!) I picked some bad ones.

#1. "Dear John:" I'd read the Nicholas Sparks book and enjoyed it, but the film adaptation was less than stellar.

I went to the restroom during the movie and when I came back I asked my husband what had happened while I was gone. He looked at me with dull eyes. "Nothing," he said in a dreary monotone. "Absolutley nothing."

(image from http://en.wikipedia.org)


 #2. "Twilight, Breaking Dawn, Part One:" Even I admit this one was awful. They stretched out a book that was already low on plot to try and make it last for two movies. Unless you're interested in seeing Bella's wedding dress (I was; he wasn't) this film had almost no redeeming qualities.

When "Twilight, Breaking Dawn, Part Two"came out, my husband anounced that he would have to be paid at least two hundred dollars to sit through it. Not including the ticket price.
(image from wikipedia)
 
So the result of this is that my husband is very suspicious of anything in the Chick Flick Genre.
 
As in, the minute a preview starts with a couple smiling winsomely at each other and then cuts to them walking on a beach hand in hand while violins play, he looks at me and says, "NO!"
 
So I guess I'm stuck watching Sylvester Stallone and Bruce Willis beat people up forever.
 
Sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment