Thursday, March 25, 2010

Birthday Cake

Okay, so one of my facebook friends has been putting up a bunch of posts about her son's 2nd birthday party this weekend. Apparently her friend who makes cakes is sick and will not be able to make the cake she had planned the party theme around.

So she's been frantically calling around trying to find someone else to make the cake and/or get her the special suppies needed so she can make the cake herself. I was wondering what the big deal was about this cake. And then she posted a picture of it.

Imagine this: If Mickey and Minnie got married (Or are they already married? They DO share a last name) what would their cake look like? There you have the cake my friend wants.

I am totally serious. We are talking tiers, a styrofoam ball Mickey-head topper, and satellite cakes on the sides. This is one elaborate cake.

So I see why she's stressing. This cake is not for the amateur.

And Meredith, if you're reading this, I am not intending any of this as a criticism, because I do see the awesomeness of the cake, and I totally understand why you want it.

But let me just say this: Your son is turning TWO.

All two-year-olds care about on their birthdays is how much icing they can smear on their faces, how many presents they can rip open, and how many sugar-induced-hyperactive laps they can run around the living room before Mom makes them take a nap.

It is NOT worth all this stress, honey!

And, okay, I remember when my first child was turning one and I had the whole family over and I wanted everything to be perfect, including the Pooh-bear cake. (And at least the cake was, thanks to my sister-in-law!)

And I do, even now, spend a lot of time on my kids' birthdays, because I feel kind of bad that they have to have every birthday party at home. I have too many kids to set a Chuck-E-Cheese kind of precedent.

But after five kids... Let's just put it this way, my twins are turning two next month, and they'll be lucky to even GET a cake!

So, to moms everwhere, stop trying to make everything so freaking perfect! A cake lasts only a few minutes before everyone eats it anyways!

And to kids everywhere, enjoy your birthdays now! Because when you're an adult no one is going to go all out for your birthday anymore. Not even your mom.

Oh, and my friend did find someone to make the cake for her.

SUCKER!

No comments:

Post a Comment