Tuesday, December 28, 2010

An Independent Boy

Baby Boy is very independent.

He likes doing things for himself was much as he possibly can, including putting his shoes on and off, climbing in and out of his crib, and getting into and out of his booster seat.

He also prefers to fasten his own safety belt in his stroller or booster seat. (He also fastens it back after he gets out, but that’s another story.)

It takes him a little longer, but he really likes doing it himself. If you try to do any of this stuff for him, prepare for a major fit.

He’s recently decided to take over more aspects of dressing as well.

He particularly enjoys undressing, which is easier than getting dressed. He likes to spend naptimes doing this. Many times I’ve looked in his room during nap to find him completely naked, and asleep.

Of course, the results of this preoccupation are often quite messy.

And if you’re wondering about the solution to naptime diaper removal I mentioned a few months ago, he’s learned to get his diaper off even when it’s duct-taped on.

He’s a clever clever boy.

Anyways, in an effort to give him managed independence, I’ve been going along with most of his do-it-myself ideas, and trying to let him do as many thing as he can. Sometimes this requires a lot of patience!

Today he put on his own shorts. As you can see if you look closely, he’s not only got both legs crammed in one leg of his shorts, he‘s also got them on upside down.

With a little assistance, however, he fixed it.

Here he is yelling “YAY!”



One day I had an idea that didn’t go very well, however. I offered him a choice between two shirts. My other kids all enjoyed choosing between two outfits, and I thought Baby Boy would too.

I held up a red shirt and a white shirt. He pointed to the red shirt. I put the red shirt on him and prepared to return the white shirt to the drawer.

“NO! NO!” he yelled.

Okay, I thought. So I took the red shirt off him and put the white shirt on. He seemed happy, but when I went to put the red shirt back in the drawer…

“NO! NO!” he yelled.

I was stymied for a moment. Then I put the red shirt on over the white shirt.

“YAY!” he yelled, overjoyed.

(May I remind everyone we live on a tropical island, and NO ONE needs to sport extra layers here!)

He was a little warm that day, but I guess I learned something about offering unnecessary choices.

Sometimes there can be a little too much independence, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment