Thursday, June 23, 2011

Twins: They're a Pair of Individuals



Wednesday night I came back from a class and the twins ambushed me at the door.

Baby Boy wanted me to give him and his toy horsies a bath, and Baby Girl just seemed to want to me to hold her.

So I started getting them ready for a bath, and then Baby Girl had a total meltdown. Apparently she was too tired for a bath and wanted to go straight to bed. Which was weird, because usually she loves taking a bath.

So I had a momentary struggle with myself. Could I really give Baby Boy a bath by HIMSELF? And put Baby Girl to bed by HERSELF? It required a major shift in my regular thought processes to do this.

This probably sounds like a stupid dilemma, but there it is. Because I'm so used to treating the twins as a unit, it's hard when they want to do two different things. I guess I have trouble remembering they are individuals.

We had this same problem at the mall earlier this week when Baby Boy wanted to ride the new ice-age-themed dinosaur train, and Baby Girl refused because it was too scary.

To be fair to Baby Girl, it was pretty freaking scary. They had life-sized realistic-looking anamatronic dinosaurs waving their fangs and tusks about. There was actually a saber-toothed tiger tearing the neck out of a giant sloth. I'm totally serious about this.

Anyhow, I wasn't going to let Baby Boy ride because Baby Girl didn't want to, but my husband was like, "That's mental! Why shouldn't he get to ride? He's not scared!"

I was thinking, "Maybe he should be scared! Did you SEE that saber-tooth?"

But I realized I should really let the poor kid ride. And he LOVED it! And oddly enough, his sister loved just watching him and waving he went by.

So tonight I let them split up for bedtime, which has never happened before. And it wasn't long before I found out why Baby Girl wanted to go straight to bed.

She threw up on me.

I guess she was waiting for Mommy to come home before she vomited.

Maybe I should feel flattered?

Probably a good thing they don't do EVERYTHING together....

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Claudia! She's much better today! Now waiting for the other twin to drop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting to hear about how they are becoming individuals with different likes and dislikes. I would be scared of those dinosaurs too!

    ReplyDelete