Monday, February 13, 2012

Why I Don't Write a Food Blog

Because I'm kind of a bad cook. That's the short answer.

By the way, I got this pretty graphic from steamykitchen.com, a "real" blog. By which I mean a blog that Knows How to Market Itself. A blog that breaks twenty in number of followers. A blog where like sixteen people regularly comment on the posts.

Or, maybe like more than one person comments. (Love you Belle! Without you I'd never know anyone was reading!)

But I digress. I was explaining why I don't write about cooking.

I mean, I do cook. And no one in my house has died of food poisoning or anything. Yet.

And actually I sometimes cook things that taste decent enough. My kids like it anyways.

But one thing I can't seem to do is make pretty food. And this is an important thing for A Real Blogger. It's all about the pictures.

I have a file of recipes I've cut from magazines and printed off the internet that I'm "planning to try." Most of which I chose because of --you guessed it!-- the picture of the food.

Some of these guys have been sitting in that file a while, unfortunately. So last week I asked the girls to go through the book (it's a binder with clear plastic sleeves) and see if there was anything in particular they would like me to make.



Boo chose about six desserts. That's why we call her Sugar Boo.

I did agree to make a couple of desserts, namely the Oreo cheesecake all three of them salivated over, but I'd actually been looking for them to chose actual FOOD.

One thing ET and GG both were interested in was "Curry Scallops and Rice," so I bought the ingredients for it.


Looks nice in the picture, right?

Okay. Here's how it looked when I made it.



Yeah. Actual unretouched photo, folks! That's how my food looks. Not exactly pintrest quality, is it?

The good thing is everyone liked it anyways.

Except Boo. Who I suppose is still holding out for that cheescake dinner....

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the morning laugh. Since my "retirement" I've re-developed my interest in cooking. I know exactly what you mean when you say, "Mine doesn't look like that." I think that those pictures that you are referring to are really drawings from very talented unknown artists. Anyway....I found a blog on here called the Budget Gourmet. I have tried several of her recipes and they come out great and mine DO look like the pictures!!! It's a small victory but it's my victory. From your post, I'm thinking you can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The truth is I don't really care if my food looks good as long as it tastes all right. However, I thought the disparity between the two pictures was funny.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Christie. I always enjoy your posts. I'm not a very good cook myself. My two girls laugh at me, but my hubby likes everything. The two pictures you put up do look very different! :) Have you ever noticed how McDonald's burgers don't look like the ads either? Sometimes they look like someone sat on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belle! I just figured out how to reply to you! Thanks for always reading my posts! :) BTW McDonald's always tastes great no matter how it looks.

      Delete