Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Musings from a Hotel



(image from http://www.stus.com)

Weird things in the hotel information booklet:

#1.“Each guestroom is equipped with a refreshment cabinet.” This means a mini-refrigerator. But for some reason, we’re reluctant to use the word “refrigerator.” Perhaps some freaky fear of lawsuit?

I read on: “The storing of dairy products or other perishable items is not recommended.” Really?! So there’s a mini-fridge, but I’m not supposed to put perishables in it? What ELSE is a refrigerator FOR, I ask you?

This has got to be some weird anti-liability-thing.

Guest: My milk went bad in the mini-fridge! I’m gonna sue!
Hotel: It’s not a refrigerator! It’s a REFRESHMENT CABINET!
Guest: Aw, MAN!
Hotel: Whew! That was close one!

#2. “Delivery of pizza and other prepared foods from outside vendors is not authorized.”

WHAT?! I can’t order a Domino’s pizza from my own hotel room? Are you KIDDING?

Oh, wait; it says “not authorized,” rather than “not allowed.” So it’s just another liability protection.

Guest: GAH! I have food poisoning from the pizza I had delivered to my room and stored in my mini-fridge! I’m gonna sue!
Hotel: That was unauthorized pizza, I’m afraid. And, besides, it’s a REFRESHMENT CABINET!
Guest: Aw, MAN!
Hotel: All right! Two for TWO! Thank you, legal consulting department!

No comments:

Post a Comment