Sunday, January 13, 2013

Escape (Not the Pina Colada Song)

(Written 1/11/13 at 7:00 p.m.)
I’m in the White Sands Hotel in Waikiki.

It sounds a lot nicer than it is.

First off, there’s no sand anywhere near here, white or otherwise. Secondly, if Honolulu has a red light district, (and does anyone doubt that it does?) I’m pretty sure I’m sitting in the middle of it.

However, it’s the best hotel I can afford.

But why am I in a hotel of any kind? you may be wondering. Don’t I live in Honolulu?

Obviously, I’m escaping my children.

(Image from www.tumblr.com)

This is my Christmas present. I just wanted to be alone for 24 hours. To read or work on my writing, and not be interrupted every five seconds. Does that sound awful?

This afternoon I told the kids I was going away for the night. They were greatly distressed.

ET in particular was highly suspicious. She figured there was some kind of cover-up going on. Either (a) Mommy and daddy are getting divorced, (b) Mommy has an awful disease she must be clandestinely treated for, or (c ) Mommy is checking into an insane asylum.

Well, as plausible as (c ) may be, ET, I’m really just going to sit in a hotel room alone for one night.

And maybe you should stop watching those Lifetime movies….

No comments:

Post a Comment