Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Bug-Bombing the Van



I guess it was inevitable.

With five kids (and one mom) eating all kinds of meals and snacks inside a mini-van, and some of them not being very conscientious about cleaning up after themselves, well... it was bound to happen.

INFESTATION.

Or, to be fair, a suspected infestation, based on the sighting of one cockroach by a squealing teenage girl. Who took photographic evidence with her phone. Ewww.

(image from drugstore.com)

Drastic measures were required. I bought a bug bomb.

Then I took everything out of the van. Especially the trash. There was lots and lots of trash.

In fact, if there are not cockroaches living in my van, it's not for lack of edible bait. We practically have a sign up in there declaring: "Free Food! Come All Vermin! Come Eat And Be Satisfied!"

On the upside, I did not encounter any bugs while cleaning out the van. Although each time I stuck my hand in the deep recesses under the seats and pulled out handfuls of sticky plastic toys, empty chip bags, and mostly-empty candy wrappers, I shuddered inside.

Every time something strange brushed my hand, I jumped. (It was always just more trash.)

I closed up the car and set off the bomb. I'll air it all out tomorrow.

Will there be insect casualties? We shall see....

5 comments:

  1. I feel for you. We drive an Ant Van (when it works) partly because we live in the country (where ants want to live in vans), and partly because of the eating-on-the-go. A friend just shared that they had evidence a mouse had gotten into theirs, which is my worst nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is, the next day there were no bug carcasses, so maybe there was no roach infestation at all. Or maybe that's the bad thing, as it would mean that I did all that work for NOTHING....

      Delete
    2. Was there any residue? How long did it take to clean

      Delete
    3. Was there a bad residue from the bomb? If so how long did it take to clean

      Delete
    4. Hi Jack! I saw no residue whatsoever from the bomb. Still, I don't know if it was there unseen... In any case, I did no further cleaning.

      Delete