Friday, February 1, 2013

The Library Police


I like to smell books. Does that make me weird?

I love books. I really do.

I read approximately ten books a month, and I don't own an electronic tablet. Call me a Luddite, but I really think nothing compares to a REAL book in your hands.

I pinned this photo on my pinterest page because I even like the smell of books. Judging from the number of times this image has been repinned, I'm not the only one.

(Image from http://cache.gizmodo.com)

However, apparently I don't love books as fanatically as the staff of my local library, whom I call the Book Gestapo, I mean the Library Police.

I visit the library about once a week. I keep my vists as brief as possible, though, due to a conflict with library security. (I know, I seem like too nice a girl to have such a thing happen, but I was actually bounced from the library a couple of years ago. Click here to read about it if you missed that story.)

Now apparently the Library Police are upset with me on another front. Namely, they feel I don't give the books enough reverence when I read them. As in, I don't don plastic gloves and a surgical mask before opening the pages, I suppose.

Once they caught me folding down page corners, and noted my record accordingly.

Then last week, the man at the desk told me I'd been accused of smudging a page.

(I'll bet you think I'm making this up. I'm not. I promise. These people are nuts, I tell you.)

He said I needed to call the downtown branch and ask them what I needed to do to clear my record of this heinous allegation.

So I called them. The lady at the circulation desk said she'd look it up and call me back. After a couple of hours, she returned my call and said that apparently I'd returned a book last summer with a smudge on one of the pages. However, they'd cleaned it off successfully. Hooray!

So the stain upon my library record has been likewise expunged.

Until the next time I accidentally drop a cookie crumb inside a romance novel or something. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment