Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Carpe Diem... "Seize the Twins?"

Choosing to SEE: A Journey of Struggle and HopeI just finished reading the book “Choosing to See” by Mary Beth Chapman.


It was written by the wife of Steven Curtis Chapman, the Christian singer/songwriter, and it was about their life together, but mainly about the tragic death of their youngest daughter in 2008.

Needless to say, this book turned me into a weeping mess.

My husband observed, “Maybe that’s not such a good thing for you to be reading,” as I sat, bent over the book, with tears (and worse!) dripping from the end of my nose.

But I did feel like Mary Beth did a good job of both conveying the pain they went and are going through, and balancing it with faith and hope for the future. It is a brave thing to do, particularly when a tragedy like that is so fresh.

As I read, the major message I heard was to really live each day and enjoy each moment that you’re given with your children. Don’t sweat the small stuff, and trust God for the big stuff, praying for strength as you go.

I tearily resolved to do just that. “I will seize each day! I will not let little annoyances bother me! I will give the children all my love and attention while ignoring their small faults!”

And then I looked up and saw Baby Girl sitting on Baby Boy’s head. Both of them were shrieking. All around on the floor were the discarded remains of a construction paper art project they had ripped into tiny pieces. And on the couch, the “no-spill” sippy cups were planted firmly upside-down, dribbling twin lines of milk into the upholstery.

This is what happens when I turn my attention to a book, I suppose.

I think a prayer for strength would not come amiss here.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for the info on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belle! You are sweet to always let me know you're out there reading! I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete