Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Baby Girl Loves the Teletubbies

Teletubbies - Time to PlayRecently I've broken out my old VHS tapes to show the twins.

I have quite a collection of kids' VHS tapes. I actually started gathering all the Disney videos when I was in college in the (very) early nineties. (Don't judge me! "The Little Mermaid" was awesome! Admit it!)

Also when my older children were small I had a few Barney videos I played over and over, along with one Wiggles video and one Teletubbies video, most of which I bought used at a garage sale.

I was incredibly irritated when VHS tapes were replaced by DVD's, by the way. The cool thing about VHS tapes is, your child can touch them! Amazing, huh? Even a two-year-old can be allowed to take the video off the shelf and pop it into the VCR.

Not so with DVD's. They're SO tempermental!

"Oh, I'm a DVD! I'm so delicate! Don't touch me! I might get a scratch and then I'll NEVER PLAY RIGHT AGAIN!"

Such divas, really.

CD's are the same way. I remember when I was in high school we would listen to cassette tapes in the car.

Remember cassette tapes? Pause for a nostalgic sigh.

We could just listen to a tape, eject it, toss it into the backseat, and put in another one. Not like CD's. You've got to get out the case and carefully return it inside, or put it in one of those sleevy things, so it won't get scratched. And THIS is progress?!

Okay I'm sounding like a crotchety old man here. "In MY day we played our music with bones and rocks! And we LIKED it!"

Moving along to the present.

So the twins like to watch the Teletubbies. They call it "Baby Sun," after the little sun with the baby face that laughs at the beginning.

It's really cute. They bring me the tape (which they are allowed to TOUCH!) and say, "Baby Sun! Baby Sun!" when they want to watch it. Which is pretty much all the time.

Okay, so it can be a little annoying. But it's also cute. Really.

So the other day Baby Girl was watching the Teletubbies, and just as the Baby Sun was coming up over the horizon, she smacked him with a plastic bat!

Seriously! It was like she was lying in wait for Baby Sun, just so she could beat his head in!

You should have seen my husband's face as the bat hit the flatscreen TV, by the way. After all, he's already seen what happend to his beloved display table. (Which is fixed now, by the way. With unbreakable plexiglass.)

So obviously we took the bat away and put it up. Who gave this kid a BAT anyways? In what universe is THAT a good idea?

But my question is, why did she turn against Baby Sun? I thought she LOVED him!

Two-year olds can be fickle I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Cute blog. My grandchildren loved Teletubbies. It's nice to know kids still watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VHS and cassette tapes those were the days. You could touch them and you could even repair them with scotch tape. Oh yeh...

    ReplyDelete